The Aspen Ice Hat is a fast and easy knit hat for one skein of extra bulky or thick-and-thin yarn.
It features a wide garter-stitch brim and an easy openwork body that spirals to a generous pompom at the tip.
The hat is knit in the round using handspun, bulky, or thick-and-thin yarn. (Tip: You can hold two strands of yarn together like this clever knitter did if your yarn isn’t thick enough.)
Includes instructions for knitting in the round on Magic Loop.
This free pattern includes KnitFreedom videos for each technique you need to know, plus tips and tricks that will help this hat go even quicker.
Pattern Details – “Aspen Ice” Easy Knit Hat
Ravelry Link: Aspen Ice Hat
- Knitting in the round (I prefer Magic Loop)
- Knit, purl, yo, k2tog
- Basic pattern-reading skills
- How To Do Garter stitch in the Round Without Purling
- How to Count Rows (Not Just Ridges) on Garter Stitch
- How to Use a Pompom Maker To Make Huge, Puffy Pompoms
Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
Finished Measurements: 20, 21, 22 inches in circumference. Fits a 21, 22, 23-inch head, respectively.
Note: Hat stretches as needed so make a size Medium as a one-size-fits-all hat if you’re not sure of the head measurement.
Options: Length of hat body can be customized so that the fit style is Fitted, Slouchy, or Super-Slouchy (shown on model).
- Yarn: 100 yards of any extra-bulky thick-and-thin yarn
- Gauge: 2.5 sts/in in garter stitch
- Needles: Size 15 needles, whichever type you prefer for knitting in the round.
- Notions: Scissors and tapestry needle. Optional: large pompom maker.
The Aspen Ice Hat pattern is FREE to all newsletter subscribers. This is such an easy knit hat that you can make it in a day or two. Knit the slouchy version for a super-hip skater look, or knit the fitted version for a sweet and simple winter hat.