The Aspen Ice Hat is a fast and easy knit hat that uses a simple lace stitch to make a colorful spiral. The easy lace pattern is made with just two stitches: yarnover and knit 2 together.
I’ve included links to KNITFreedom videos for each technique you need to know, and some optional tricks that will help this hat go even quicker.
Pattern Details – “Aspen Ice” Easy Knit Hat
- Knitting in the round (I prefer Magic Loop)
- Knit, purl, yo, k2tog
- Basic pattern-reading skills
Tricks You’ll Learn:
- Garter stitch in the round without purling
- Counting rows (not just ridges) on garter stitch
- The right way to use a pompom maker
Sizes Available: Small, Medium, Large
(fits a 21, 22, 23-inch head, respectively – model shown wearing size medium)
Options: Can be made fitted, slouchy, or super-slouchy (shown on model) – the instructions for each style are in the pattern.
Finished Measurements: 20, 21, 22 inches in circumference
- Yarn: 100 yards of Magnolia Handspun, or bulky thick-and-thin yarn
- Gauge: 2.5 sts/in in garter stitch
- Needles: Size 15 needles, whichever type you prefer for knitting in the round
- Notions: Scissors and tapestry needle. Optional: large pompom maker.
The Aspen Ice Hat pattern is FREE to all newsletter subscribers. This is such an easy knit hat that you can make it in a day or two. Knit the slouchy version for a super-hip skater look, or knit the fitted version for a sweet and simple winter hat. Download it here.