This Fair-Isle felted bag pattern is an easy pattern for learning two-color knitting. Felt the bag in the washer to make a soft and sturdy purse or knitting project bag.
I’ve included links to KNITFreedom videos for each technique you need to know, and some optional tricks that will help you if you are using Magic Loop.
Pattern Details – Fair Isle Felted Bag
- Knitting in the round
- Basic pattern-reading skills
Tricks You’ll Learn:
- How to read a Fair-Isle color chart
- How to pick up and knit stitches
- How to make an i-cord
After felting, the bag will be approximately 9 inches (23 cm) long by 7 inches (18 cm) wide by 10 inches (25 cm) tall.
Options: You can knit the bag handles and attachment loops, or buy leather or plastic purse handles for a more formal look.
- Yarn: Approximately 150 yards each of 2 colors chunky-weight yarn.
- Gauge: Not important
- Needles: US size 11 (8 mm) or 13 (9 mm) 24-inch circular needle
- Notions: Stitch marker, tapestry needle. Optional: 4 metal rings for handle attachment, 4 metal feet.
The Fair Isle Felted Bag Pattern is FREE to all newsletter subscribers. This is a quick project that you can make in a day or two – great for a gift. Pair maroon and deep brown with leather handles for a gorgeous knitting bag.
Pattern photography by Camilla Emond of Twist and Twine Yarn
About the Designer
Tracy St. John is the founder and editor of Tangled, a knitting and crochet webzine published by Stix Yarn. Subscribe to their newsletter at http://stixyarn.com/tangled.
About the Yarn
The Malabrigo Chunky yarn for this pattern was provided generously by Stix Yarn. Shop their online yarn store at http://stixyarn.com/store.