A basic Magic Loop mitten pattern designed for worsted-weight yarn – featuring the World’s Best Mitten Thumb and a snug ribbed cuff with an invisible cast-on edge.
Learn how to knit Magic Loop mittens using this free pattern – I’ve included links to clear, detailed KNITFreedom videos for each technique you need to know.
Pattern Details – Worsted-Weight Magic Loop Mittens
- Knitting in the round (on Magic Loop or DPNs)
- Basic pattern-reading skills
Tricks You’ll Learn:
- How to do the Italian cast-on
- How to pick up and knit stitches
- How to make the World’s Best Mitten Thumb
Sizes S (M, L): Fits a hand 7 1/2 (8, 8 1/2) inches around the hand at its widest point and 6 3/4 (7 1/4, 73/4) inches long from base of hand to tip of middle finger.
Options: This pattern was written so that you can easily knit these mittens two-at-a-time, and it includes links to KNITFreedom videos showing how it’s done.
- Yarn: 140 yards of worsted-weight wool (shown here: Rowan Lima in 891 La Paz).
- Gauge: 5 sts/in in Stockinette stitch.
- Needles: US size 7 (4.5 mm) 47-inch (120 cm) circular needle.
- Notions: Scrap yarn, 4 removable stitch markers, tapestry needle.
This worsted-weight Magic Loop Mittens Pattern is FREE to all newsletter subscribers. The perfectly-fitting mitten is customizable for any hand length and can be used as a basic template for adding color designs. Download the pattern here.
Pattern photography by Camilla Emond of Twist Twine Hand-Painted Yarn
About the Yarn:
The Rowan Lima yarn for this pattern was provided generously by Stix Yarn. Shop their new online yarn store at http://stixyarn.com/store.
Related Pattern: Easy Chunky Mittens for Magic Loop