Ever tried to make a pompom?
The gadgets you get at your local yarn store or the craft store for making pompoms are not exactly easy-to-use.
There are 12 steps to making an awesome pompom, and I show you how to do them in the video below.
With four arms and two discs that separate, you’ve got to do everything in the right order. Here’s how do it:
If you don’t have a pompom maker, you can still make a good pompom, but it wastes a bit more yarn and will require some more fussing at the end.
How to make a pompom if you don’t have a pompom maker
- Find a water glass, water bottle, or other cylinder that is the diameter that you would like your finished pompom to be. Paper towel or toilet paper rolls will work fine, as will a Nalgene bottle if you need a pompom the size of a small kitten.
- Wrap the yarn many, many, many times around the cylinder, spreading it over about a 2-inch area. The more wraps, the better.
- Carefully slide the yarn bundle off the end of the cylinder.
- Wrap the working yarn around the middle of the bundle tightly a few times, then tie it in a knot around itself. Cut the yarn, leaving a 12-inch tail.
- Cut the loops of yarn on either side of the tie. Fluff the pompom.
- Trim and attach the pompom like I showed you in the video above.
Do a few more.
If you liked this video on how to make a pompom, post in the comments!