Relax While You Knit: 7 Free, Easy, & Mindless Knitting Patterns for Christmas Day
If your family is anything like mine, you may spend a lot of time on Christmas Day sitting around watching people unwrap presents.
In our family, we like to stretch out the gift-giving as long as possible by playing the Santa game.*
This means that I spend much of my day hanging out on the couch, and you can bet that I'm prepared with a mindless knitting project or two to occupy my hands while leaving my brain free to pay attention to my family.
In case you find yourself in the same boat, here are 7 easy, free, and mindless knitting patterns to keep you happily busy on this special day.
- GAP-tastic Cowl by Jen Geigley - helpful video: Recognize a Knit and Purl Stitch
- Magical Garter-Stitch Scarf by Liat Gat - extra credit: Bind Offs for Garter Stitch
- Classic Washcloth by Clara Parkes - not free but so soft and cute I couldn't leave it off the list (it's in The Knitter's Guide to Yarn, one of my favorite books)
- Mindless by Susanne Sobotta - helpful video: Recognize a Knit and Purl Stitch
- Noro Striped Scarf by Jared Flood - helpful post: Switch Colors and Make Stripes
- Fingerless Mitts by Ann Budd - helpful video: Pick Up and Knit
- Basic Magic Loop Hat by Liat Gat - helpful video: Basic Magic Loop
*How To Play The Santa Game:
All you need in order to play is a Santa hat.
Usually the youngest family member starts out as Santa. "Santa" has to select a gift from under the tree that is not from him or her and give it to its recipient.
Then everyone watches that person unwrap the gift and does the requisite oohing and aahing and photographing, after which the recipient then becomes Santa and selects the next gift. Don't have a Santa hat? Why not knit one!
Leave a Comment
This week at KnitFreedom is all about relaxing with the family while you knit, and tomorrow I’ll be sharing 7 Intermediate Mindless Patterns for You to Knit on Christmas Day.
In the mean time, think about your favorite mindless knitting patterns. What are your favorite projects to knit that are fun but require absolutely zero brain power? Leave a comment and let me know.
- Relax While You Knit: 7 Free, Intermediate, & Mindless Knitting Patterns for Christmas Day
- The Ultimate New Knitter’s Toolkit – Needles, Yarn, Notions, and Supplies to Buy For Beginning Knitters
- 2014 KnitFreedom Holiday Gift Guide Part 3: Stocking Stuffers
- 2014 KnitFreedom Holiday Gift Guide Part 2: Under $50
- 2014 KnitFreedom Holiday Gift Guide Part 1: Luxury Gifts
- Knitting For Men: The Top 10 Patterns Your Man Will Love