This basic Brioche hat is great for learning two-color brioche in the round. It features a no-roll brim that uses the Chinese Waitress Cast-On, it is completely reversible, and has a smooth star-shaped decrease at the crown.
- Sizes: One size
- Finished Measurements: Finished size: 8 in. deep, 18 1/2 in. around unstretched. Stretches to fit a head up to 23 in. around.
- Yarn: 55 yds. (50 m) aran- or worsted-weight yarn in two colors DC (dark color) and LC (light color).
- Recommended Yarn: 55 yds. (50 m) Malabrigo Twist
- Needles: 2 pairs circular needles, 40-47 inches
- Needle size: US size 7 (4.5 mm) and 5 (3.75 mm)
- Notions: Measuring tape, tapestry needle, scissors
- Br-k – Brioche knit: Knit the stitch together with its wrap
- Br-p – Brioche purl: Purl the stitch together with its wrap
- Br-ssk – Brioche slip, slip, knit: Slip 1 st knitwise, slip next st knitwise. One of these sts will have a wrap. Slip the stitch along with its wrap. Knit slipped sts together.
- Knitwise – With right needle going into stitch from front to back
- Purlwise – With right needle going into stitch from back to front
- Sl 1 – Slip 1
- Sl1 wyib – Slip one with yarn in back
- Sts – Stitches
- Work in Brioche stitch – On DC rounds, when you come to a DC stitch with a wrap, br-p (see above). When you come to a LC stitch without a wrap, yfsl1yo (see below). On LC rounds, when you come to a LC stitch with a wrap, br-k (see above). When you come to a DC stitch without a wrap, yfsl1yo.
- Wrap – The cape-like yarnover stitch that accompanies slipped stitches in Brioche
- Wyib – With yarn in back
- Wyif – With yarn in front
- Yfsl1yo – Yarn forward, slip 1, yarnover: Move yarn to front, slip next st, bring yarn over needle to back, making a yarnover. The yarnover will pass over the slipped stitch and sit next to it like a cape.
- When counting stitches, count any slipped stitch along with its yarnover as one stitch.
- Assign one of your yarns to be the DC (dark color) and the other to be the LC (light color). This reversible hat is shown with the cast-on edge in the DC and the prominent vertical stripes on the outside in the LC. The inside looks good too, with prominent vertical stripes in the DC. Write your color choices in the parentheses in the lines below so as not to get confused. For example, with DC (BLUE)… with LC (RED)…
- After you cast on, DC rounds will always be “purl” rounds, that is, you will work (yfsl1yo, br-p) around. LC rounds will always be “knit” rounds, that is, you will work (br-k, yfsl1yo) around. These directions are written out in the instructions below.
Helpful Free Videos (from our How to Knit Brioche video course):